As you would know from previous posts, we are a dessert family. The other night, I had made dinner and when it was cooked realised just how small it was going to be and I didn't want hungry tummies afterwards. As I hadn't actually planned any dessert (for once), I quickly scrummaged around the kitchen to see what I had and came up with a super easy apple crumble that can be made with a few simple ingredients and not much effort. I'm almost embarrassed to call it a Mei original recipe... it is that simple.
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cubed ~3cm (about 400 grams)
500mls water for cooking
sprinkle of ground cinnamon to taste
1/2 C plain flour
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C castor sugar
4 tablespoons butter
ice-cream or cream for serving
1. Preheat oven to 190C.
2. Place apple in TM basket. Add water to TM bowl and cook 12mins/ varoma/ speed 3.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, add all crumble ingredients and 'rub' together until it forms a sand like texture.
4. Spoon apple into a 4 Cup capacity pie dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top to taste.
5. Spread the crumble over the top.
6. Put in oven to bake for 20-25mins or until golden.
7. Serve immediately with ice-cream or cream.
Bon Appetit xx
Notes: This crumble is quite a fine crumble. If you would like to make it coarser, I would try replacing half the flour with some roughly milled oats and/or some roughly chopped walnuts. Also, as I'm in a hurry and there's 12 minutes for the apple to cook, I make the crumble manually. If you wanted to wait, I'm sure you could make it in the Thermomix using the turbo button a few times.
** update 19th March 2014 **
Please find below, the "complete" Thermomix Version.
100 grams butter, cut into 2cm cubes
80 grams plain flour
60 grams brown sugar
60 grams castor sugar
500 grams water
2-3 largish granny smith apples
1. Pre-heat oven to 190C. Place all crumble ingredients into TM bowl. Mix 2-3times/ 1sec/ closed lid position/ Turbo. Set aside for later.
2. Place water into TM bowl. Heat 5mins/ 100C/ speed1.
3. Meanwhile, peel and core the apples. Cut into 2-3cm cubes and place in TM basket. When water is finished, place TM basket into TM bowl and steam apples 10mins/ Varoma/ speed3.
4. When steamed through, pour apples into baking dish and top with reserved crumble. Bake in oven 20-25mins.