200 grams pitted dates (like Medjool Dates)
300 grams hot water
2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
170 grams raw sugar (I use 150 grams)
60 grams unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
170 grams wholemeal SRF
cream for serving
125 grams full fat pouring cream
100 grams brown sugar (I use 80 grams)
65 grams unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 20cm square cake tine and line base with baking paper.
2. Place dates in TM bowl and chop 8sec / speed 7. Scape down sides.
3. Add water and mix 10sec / speed 4.
4. Add bicarb soda and mix 3sec / speed 2. Set aside. Clean and dry TM bowl. If you are lucky enough to have a second TM bowl, just use that.
5. Place sugar into clean TM bowl and mill 10 sec / speed 9. If using rapadura, skip this step.
6. Insert butterfly. Add butter and mix 10sec / speed 4. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix until creamy (about 1 minute). While butterfly is still rotating, add eggs through the MC hole. Remove butterfly.
7. Add vanilla, flour and date mixture.
8. Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or, until golden brown. Remove from oven and sit for 10 minutes.
9. Slice into 9 square serves and top with sauce and cream.
To make the sauce, add all ingredients to TM bowl and cook 5-7mins/ 80C/ speed 4. This produces quite a runny sauce so I cooked this for a further 2mins with the MC removed.
Serves 9 (the book states 12 but we love big slices)
Bon Appetit xx
Tip: We're only a little family so we did not eat this in 1 sitting. To reheat, place 1 serve topped with cold sauce in the microwave for 30 seconds. Test if it is hot enough and blast in 5 second increments until hot enough. If you don't want to use the microwave, reheat using steam in the Varoma until piping hot while you are making your dinner in the Thermie.